Become a Substitute
Welcome to the Substitute Online Application Process
Click Here to see the current job openings available. You will have the opportunity to search postings and filter for specific positions that interest you. Click on the position title for more information about that specific position. To apply for a position, click the "Apply for this Position" button.
Substitute Teacher applications are accepted on an as-needed basis. Orientations are conducted August through early April (as needed).
Certification - Kearney Public Schools Substitute Teachers must hold a valid Nebraska Teaching Certificate. The Certificate may be a Teaching certificate or a Substitute Teaching certificate.
As of July 2015, Kearney Public Schools is accepting Local Substitute Teaching certificates. Please complete the KPS Substitute Application before applying for a Local certificate to determine if you qualify for KPS's Local certificate policy.
- Application – Complete the online Substitute Application through TalentEd Recruit & Hire.
- Credential file or Letters of Recommendation and Transcripts – attach to the online application or have sent to the Human Resources office, 320 W 24th Stret, Kearney, NE 68845.
- Certification – A Nebraska Teaching Certificate, Substitute Teaching Certificate or Local Substitute Certificate.
- A Substitute application file will be established for you and to be considered for substitute teaching must contain the following - Completed Online KPS Application, Credential File or Three (3) Letters of Recommendation, and College/UniversityTranscripts.
- The Application File will be reviewed to determine if the applicant meets the substituting needs of the school district. You will only be contacted if your application is complete and meets the substituting needs of the school district. It is your responsibility to make sure the necessary items are on file with the KPS Human Resources office.
- Background check – receive clearance through the background check process.
- Substitute Orientation - Once the background checks have been completed with the appropriate agencies and the candidate receives clearance for employment, a substitute orientation will be scheduled with Human Resources. All substitute applicants will be required to schedule and attend an employee orientation class before entering the classroom as a substitute. Orientation classes are scheduled and conducted by HR staff and the sessions will be held as needed August through March.
If you have questions regarding substitute teaching, please contact KPS Human Resources: Dellene Bosard at email@example.com